5 Easy Ways to Care for Your Braces
- May 24, 2022
Taking care of your braces can be one of the most intimidating parts of your braces journey, but we won’t let it become an issue! From brushing your teeth a little more often to carrying around some extra floss, braces care should never get in the way of your day! That’s why our braces and Invisalign orthodontic experts (Dr. Willett and her trained and capable team) at Lincoln Orthodontics in Lincoln, Nebraska are here to offer you 5 easy ways to care for your braces. We understand how difficult it can be to adjust to this new lifestyle while your braces adjust your smile, but these tips will set you on track to achieve your smile goals on your braces journey.
#1 Brush, Brush, Brush to Care for your Braces!
We know you hear it often, but brushing your teeth 3 times a day is a must, and with braces care in mind, it is even more important. The way you brush your teeth is slightly different with braces too, as you must brush with a different technique to get all around the braces and wires. A toothbrush with soft bristles will be effective in helping you lightly brush your teeth to remove any food debris. Here are some basic steps to follow while brushing for optimal care for your braces:
- Angle your toothbrush along the gums to remove any food and plaque that collects.
- Brush the front, back and tops of your teeth to remove bacteria.
- Use the angled method again to brush away food underneath your brackets.
- Take extra time while brushing your braces to guarantee clean teeth!
#2 A Mirror is your New Best Friend in Braces Care
Carrying a mirror around with you in your pocket or backpack is the easiest way to ensure you remove food or debris on the go. You may want a travel toothbrush and floss to carry with you. At Lincoln Orthodontics, we provide those supplies to all of our patients, but it is just as important that you know how to use it. Brushing and flossing the correct way with braces can prevent further problems such as tooth decay or bad breath. Here are some basic tips from our experts on how to properly floss with your braces:
- Use a long piece of floss thread to reach the teeth in the very back.
- Use your fingers to gently slip the floss between your teeth.
- Ask Dr. Emily Willett or one of our experts for floss picks to efficiently floss under your wires.
- Focus on cleaning food debris from the gum area to prevent irritation or gingivitis.
- Our orthodontic team can give you a lesson if you need a reminder.
#3 Rinse for Extra Braces Hygiene
Rinsing your mouth thoroughly after brushing and flossing will help you rid of any loose debris in your braces. Simply rinse your mouth after every meal or snack throughout the day to avoid buildup in your teeth or brackets. An easy rinse option is water, but mouthwash can also be beneficial to use as a rinse during orthodontic treatment. According to Dental Health Society, when selecting a mouthwash brand, make sure to avoid rinsing with bright red or green dye, as this may lead to discoloration of your bands or brackets. Feel free to ask one of Dr. Willett or a clinical expert here at Lincoln Orthodontics for recommendations when it comes to buying a mouthwash for braces care.
#4 Show Your Braces You Care and Avoid Those Sticky Treats
Although it can be a daunting task, avoiding specific foods can be very important in braces care. Extra sticky or chewy foods can cause damage to the wires and brackets on your braces. Our experts at Lincoln Orthodontics will provide you with a list of foods to avoid, or at the least, to be extra cautious with. Some of these foods include:
- Sticky Candy – Caramels and candy bars are, sadly, off-limits
- Nuts – Hard nuts can be damaging to the wires of your braces
- Popcorn – these kernels can also cause extra damage to brackets and wires
- Corn chips – and other crunchy snacks
- Tough Meat – Steak and Pork Chops can be difficult to chew
- Raw Fruits & Veggies – Apples & pears are more damaging than nutritious with braces
- Bagels – Bagels are too hard and chewy for your braces
Avoiding these foods and snacks can be one of the trickier parts of your braces treatment, but just remember, it’s not forever!
#5 Visit our experts at Lincoln Orthodontics for regular Braces Care
Continue to visit us here at Lincoln Orthodontics to get checkups on your braces care during your orthodontic journey! Dr. Emily Willett and her capable team of orthodontic experts will help you with any questions you may have and provide you with the best advice for caring for your braces. We know life is busy, but regular visits with our experts will ensure that your braces are on track for success!
If you have any questions or concerns on braces care in Lincoln, Nebraska and you are looking for the best, visit Dr. Emily Willett of Lincoln Orthodontics at 6825 S 27th Street, Ste 202 Lincoln, NE 68512. Call (402) 489-8841 or go to https://lincoln-orthodontics.com/free-consult/ to schedule a free consultation. We’ll be straight with you and make sure you know all the options, so you can make the best decisions to care for your braces.