Not all braces patients want metal in their mouth. It can be heavy and very noticeable on the teeth. Here at Lincoln Orthodontics in south Lincoln, we have an alternative option for all our braces patients. Ceramic, clear braces are becoming a well known option for many patients in need of alignment treatment, who are wanting an invisible look on their teeth.
What are Clear Braces?
The terms clear braces, tooth-colored braces, or esthetic braces all represent a form of braces bracket made from ceramic material. At Lincoln Orthodontics our clear braces are smaller brackets and are usually paired with clear, white, or tooth-colored wires and elastic ties making them almost invisible. This option is especially attractive if you are an esthetic-minded adult or teen. For those who are wanting to go outside the box, we do still offer colored elastic ties. These ties give off a vibrant color due to the clear bracket, making them fun and bright. This is also a very popular option for teens and young adults.
Difference between Clear and Metal Braces
Clear and metal braces are nearly identical in their effectiveness for orthodontic treatment. Clear or metal braces can be used for all treatment types and all ages. It is important to note that the main difference between metal and ceramic braces are their response to being hit/broken: metal brackets will just come off of the tooth but ceramic brackets can splinter and fracture in addition to coming off of the tooth. Mouthguards are provided to all patients with all bracket types, but wearing the mouthguard with ceramic brackets is even more essential.
Ceramic Braces Stain Myth
A common worry for most patients is the potential staining of our clear braces. At Lincoln Orthodontics this has proven to be a misconception. Our ceramic brackets will not stain! However, the adhesive used to attach the brackets to teeth and the clear elastic ties have a potential to stain overtime, but this can easily be avoided with proper braces care.
Your braces can remain clear and invisible, if you choose to avoid items such as:
- Dark tea
- Red wine
- Other food/drink with dark dyes
We also change out the elastics during every appointment, making sure you don’t worry too much about giving up your morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
What are Metal Braces Made of?
- The ceramic braces are made of a clear hard porcelain-type material that easily matches to every tooth shade. Each bracket has a “slot” where a wire is positioned and then secured placing an elastic overtop of the wire.
- Glue or bonding composite
- Composite bonding material or “cement”is used by Dr. Willett to attach the brackets to your teeth. Rather than glue, the material is more similar to tooth-colored filling materials you might also see at your dentist’s office. The material is durable and ensures your brackets will stay put throughout your entire treatment as long as you’re a little careful with your diet and habits.
- Orthodontic wires are thin pieces of metal that connect one bracket to another to achieve alignment of the teeth, top and bottom.
- Elastics, small rubber bands, are used for bite correction in combination with ceramic braces.
- Elastic Ties/O-rings/Ligatures/Colors
- These tiny rubber bands attach the archwire to the brackets. Most people chose ceramic braces due to the esthetics and being able to have “invisible” braces, so clear or white ligatures can be used to hold the wire to the braces. With ceramic braces, some patients chose to have color ties as the colors can appear more vibrant against a clear bracket.
Do they Cost Extra?
At Lincoln Orthodontics we do our very best to provide you with quality care and treatment, while working with you and your family budget. For this reason, we offer both clear and metal braces at the same price! We want our patients to choose their braces based on their personal esthetic goals as well as the best treatment plan and not have to decide based on cost.
We also offer flexible payment plans, automatic bank drafts, and we will file claims with your insurance company for orthodontic benefits so you don’t have to do that yourself. Our team of experienced, empathetic, and helpful treatment coordinators will be happy to go over the cost with you at your first free consultation.
Searching for Clear Braces?
If you are wanting treatment with clear braces in South Lincoln, and you’re looking for the best, visit Dr. Willett at Lincoln Orthodontics at 6825 S 27th Street, Ste 202 Lincoln, NE 68512. Call 402-704-8208 to schedule a free consultation. We’ll be straight with you and make sure you know all the braces options, so you can make the best decision for your orthodontic treatment and get the best results.